If your Dell laptop keyboard not working, then read this article and it will provide you with different methods to get rid of this issue within minutes.
Dell keyboards are reliable but every time we face a problem with the hardware, we purchase another one. Instead, you can try troubleshooting the problem. If this doesn’t solve the problem, you can move on to the next approach. Keep doing this until you find and fix the problem. Well, here’s a step-by-step guide on how to fix your Dell keyboard not working.
Some keyboards have a dedicated button that can turn off your keyboard temporarily. Sometimes you don’t even realize it’s turned on accidentally and you will be like my Dell laptop keyboard is not working. With that out of the way, let’s check out different ways to fix the issue.
Different Methods To Get Rid Of The Dell Laptop Keyboard Not Working Issue
Below we have shared four different solutions which you can follow in order to resolve the Dell keyboard not working problem.
Solution1: Disable Mouse Keys To Fix Keys Not Working On Dell Laptop
This is the first method in which you need to turn off the mouse keys using the Control Panel tool. For a better understanding check out the steps below and fix the Dell laptop keyboard locked issue.
- Click on the Start menu and search Control Panel in the search bar.
- On the Control Panel window, click on the “View by” dropdown menu. And then, select the Category option from the context menu.
- Now, click on the Ease of Access option. Then, under the “Ease of access center” section, click on the “Change how your keyboard works” button.
- Uncheck the box next to “Turn on Mouse Keys”.
After completing the process, Open notepad or a file to test out if the Dell laptop keyboard not working problem is resolved. If not, move on to the next method.
Also Read: Fix USB Keyboard and Mouse Not Working Issue on Windows 10/8/7
Solution2: Update Windows Operating System To Resolve Dell Laptop Keyboard Not Working Issue
Sometimes, when you update your computer to a newer OS, it might mess up the connected devices like your keyboard. Hence, it is necessary to always keep your Windows updated to avoid errors like the Dell laptop keyboard lock issue.
You can perform the updation process from the Windows settings menu. Moreover, with the help of the steps mentioned below, you will be able to update your Windows OS and solve the Dell laptop keyboard-locked problem.
Steps to fix the Dell laptop not working by updating your Windows:
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then hit the Enter key on your keyboard.
- On the Settings window, go to the Update & Security settings by clicking on its icon.
- Now, select the Windows Update tab from the left-hand side panel. Then, on the right-side panel, click on the Check for updates button.
- Wait for some time till your computer searches for the latest OS version available online. Then, click on the Download and install button and it will start the process.
After downloading the new Windows, restart your computer and it will install the new OS on its own. Check if performing this process has helped you solve the Dell laptop keyboard not working problem. If not, then it is time to update your keyboard drivers.
Solution3: Fix Dell Keyboard Not Working By Updating Keyboard Drivers
Keeping your Windows drivers updated will help your computer improve compatibility with connected devices and fix issues like the Dell laptop keyboard not working. It will also help your device to enhance its overall performance.
There are various methods through which you can update the drivers on your PC. Today, we are going to show you the most reliable, safest, and easiest way to update drivers in order to resolve the dell keyboard not working problem.
This is an automatic process in which you need to download and install the best driver updater software. There are thousands of such software available online but we would recommend you go with the Bit Driver Updater app. This app is specially made for Windows devices and is trusted by thousands of users. Apart from fixing issues like the Dell Laptop keyboard not working, here are some additional perks of having the Bit Driver Update app:
- Only WHQL-certified drivers are available
- Speed up the computer’s performance
- Improves compatibility between devices and computer
- Keeps backup of old drivers
- 24×7 customer assistance
Steps to fix keys not working on Dell laptop using Bit Driver Updater
Now, it’s time to look at the steps with which you can download, install, and use this app in order to resolve the Dell laptop keyboard-locked problem.
- Click on the Download button given below to download the Bit Driver Updater on your Windows device:
- After installing the program on your computer, type File Explorer in the taskbar’s search bar and then press the Enter key on your keyboard.
- On the File Explorer window, click on the Downloads tab from the left-side panel. This will redirect you to the Downloads folder. Over there, double-click on the setup file, and follow the on-screen instructions to install the app on your computer.
- After the installation is complete, run the program.
- On the Bit Driver Updater home page, either click on the Scan Drivers button or the Scan tab (on the left-side panel) to allow it to look for broken, outdated, corrupted keyboard drivers.
- Once the scanning process is completed, click on the Update all button to update all the drivers on your PC at once. If you only want to update your keyboard drivers, then click on the Update Now button in front of the Keyboard Driver.
When the update process is finished, Restart your computer. And it will automatically replace the old keyboard driver with the new one. Check whether the Dell keyboard not working issue is gone. If not, then now it is time to run the Windows troubleshooter.
Also Read: How to Fix HP Laptop Keyboard Not Working [Solved]
Solution4: Run The Windows Troubleshooter To Fix Dell Laptop Keyboard Not Working
If you are one of the users who are still facing the Dell keyboard not working error, then you can try performing the troubleshooting process. For this method, you need to take help from one of the Windows-integrated utilities called the Troubleshooter.
You can easily access this tool from Windows Settings and it will find and fix the issue for you. Below are some steps that will help you use Windows Troubleshooter in order to get rid of the Dell laptop keyboard locked problem.
Steps to use Windows Troubleshooter and resolve the Dell laptop keyboard not working issue:
- Type Settings in the taskbar’s search bar and then press the Enter key on your keyboard
- On the Settings window, click on the Update & Security option
- Now, select the Windows troubleshooter tab present on the left-side panel. Then, under the “Recommended troubleshooters” heading on the right-side panel, click on the Additional troubleshooter button.
- Under the Find and fix other problems heading, click on the Keyboards option to expand it. Then, click on the “Run the Troubleshooter” button and it will start the process.
When the process is finished, Restart your computer and it will solve your Dell keyboard not working issue.
Also Read: HID Keyboard Device Driver Download and Update for Windows 11,10, 8, 7
Resolved: How To Fix Dell Laptop Keyboard Not Working Issue
We hope the different solutions that we have shared in this blog were able to resolve your Dell keyboard not working. If in case, you are this issue is still troubling you, then there might be a chance that your keyboard is physically damaged. To check that, either connect the keyboard to a different computer or try connecting a new keyboard to your computer.
However, If there is a hardware issue with your keyboard, take it to the nearest repair store or purchase a replacement. Other than that, share your thoughts regarding this Dell laptop keyboard-locked problem-fixing guide in the comments section. We would love to hear from you.